Research Innovation in Science Enrichment University Program (RISEUP)
Any community college undergraduate student interested in pursuing a STEM degree is eligible to participate in the RISEUP program. Students who are interested in a research experience and meet the criteria below may apply to the program by completing the online application.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2019
Criteria to be a RISEUP participant:
- United States citizen or permanent resident
- College GPA of 3.0 and higher (preferred)
- Courses in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) discipline
- Member of an underrepresented group, including Black or African-American, Alaskan Natives, American Indian, Hispanic American, Native Hawaiian, and Native Pacific Islander
- Be selected for a research position by a faculty researcher or undergraduate research program
- Must be able to commute to Iowa State University
Benefits of participation in the RISEUP program include:
- Joining a community of peers, mentors, faculty, and administrators who will help you excel
- Making connections with respected researchers
- Participating in research opportunities with faculty
- Participating in regular professional and educational development activities
- Presenting your research at professional conferences and symposiums
- Building your resume
Additional benefits for RISEUP research interns include:
- Eligible to receive funding support toward participation in academic or summer research experiences or internships
- Eligible to receive funding for research supplies
- Eligible to receive funding for travel to conferences and professional meetings to present your research.
ONLINE APPLICATION & INSTRUCTIONS
Please have the following application materials prepared before completing the online application.
1) Personal Statement
3) Unofficial Transcript
4) Review the list of projects and mentors to identify your top 3 choices.
Letter of Recommendation Form
The letter of recommendation must be completed by a faculty member or academic advisor.
Instructions for submitting the letter of recommendation are provided in the form. The recommender will submit the completed form to the IINSPIRE LSAMP Alliance Office. Students/Applicants should not upload the letter to the online application.
Resources and Helpful Hints
If you have questions about RISEUP and its criteria or benefits, please contact:
IINSPIRE LSAMP ISU Program Assistant
Iowa State University
Professor of Physics & Mathematics
Des Moines Area Community College, Boone Campus
Iowa Valley Community College