Virtual (and hybrid) Summer Experience for Early Research (VSEER) Program
Application Deadline: April 15, 2022
The IINSPIRE LSAMP Alliance is accepting applications for the 2022 IINSPIRE LSAMP Virtual (and hybrid) Summer Experience for Early Research (VSEER) Program. The 8-week program runs June 3 through July 29, 2022.
Project Goals/Learning Objectives:
- Provide a multi-faceted early exposure to research for VSEER scholars to deepen their understanding of research methodologies, explore current research in the STEM disciplines, and define their research interest.
- Build community among VSEER scholars and with key alliance leaders and mentors.
- Develop participant STEM identity in the context of student intersectionality.
- Deepen students’ understanding of the purpose of LSAMP.
Program Expectations for VSEER Scholars:
Core Program: All scholars will participate in the following program activities to receive the base stipend of $1000.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled weekly program activities between June 3, 2022 and July 29, 2022. During this period, you are expected to work 10 hours per week. Three hours of synchronous sessions and seven hours of independent work.
- Attend the Virtual (and hybrid) Summer Experience for Early Research (VSEER) Program Orientation on Friday, June 3, 2022 from 10:00 am – 12:00 noon CST;
- Attend and actively participate in the following each week:
- Virtual Course Meetings—Mondays at 10:00 am CST
- Virtual Community Building—Thursdays at 3:30 pm CST
- Virtual Lab Tours—Tuesdays at 10:00 am CST
- Provide a “Participation Report” to your LSAMP Campus Director (or campus designee) in the 4th and 7th week of the program to initiate stipend installments.
- In person/hybrid scholars should plan to be on campus 10-20 hours/week for VSEER Core Plus Research programming.
- Iowa State in person/hybrid scholars should plan to be on the ISU Campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8 am to 5 pm.
- Prepare and present a research or experiential poster at the end of the program.
Research: VSEER scholars may apply for one of the following optional research experiences in addition to the core program for an additional 10 hours per week (20 total hours/week). Students who complete the optional research experience receive an additional stipend:
- Virtual Research: Work on an individual (or small group) research project within the context of a larger research question being addressed by a group of VSEER students guided by a faculty mentor. Research projects will be designed especially for the virtual environment. Students are expected to attend two 1.5hr meetings of the entire research group and do 7 hours of individual work each week.
- In-Person Research (hybrid): Participate in a IN-PERSON mentored research experience with a faculty mentor at your home institution or through an IINSPIRE LSAMP institution ($1000 additional stipend, plus a $500 travel allowance, if more than 5 miles from research site);
Stipend and other benefits:
- Core Program: VSEER scholars are paid a $1,000 stipend for 10 hours per week of work within the VSEER Core Program.
- Core Program Plus Research: VSEER scholars have two options for adding an OPTIONAL mentored research experience and are paid an additional $1000 stipend for 10 hours of mentored research each week. In-person/hybrid research scholars who travel more than 5 miles to their research site receive an additional $500 as a travel allowance.
- As a VSEER scholar, you are joining the IINSPIRE LSAMP Program which includes many benefits to you.
Eligibility to be a VSEER participant:
- Attending an IINSPIRE LSAMP Alliance institution and have no research experience.
- United States citizen or permanent resident
- College GPA of 3.0 and higher (preferred)
- Courses in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) discipline
- Member of an underrepresented group, including Black or African-American, Alaskan Natives, American Indian, Hispanic American, Native Hawaiian, and Native Pacific Islander
For more information contact:
Iowa State University